An Address Field is used to collect valid address information (street, city, state, zip) in a single field.
The label will display as the title of the field or the question that is being asked on the form. It is not recommended to leave the label blank because the label will be used as the column heading in Excel when form entries are exported.
The type can be changed from a “US” address to an “International” address.
US Addresses include two address lines, City, State, and Zip Code.
International Addresses include two address lines, City, State/Province/Region, Postal/Zip Code, and Country.
Once an international address type is selected, you can set the default country for the Country drop down if you know a lot of your users will have an address in a particular country.
Include / Default Value
Check each box to include or exclude specific subfields (Address Line 1, Address Line 2, City, etc.) from your Address field.
Default values can be used to automatically populate the field's value for the user. The user can then choose to change the default value before submitting the form.
Help text can be used to assist the user by providing additional instructions. Help text will display directly under the field.
Show This Field
By default, fields will always display on the form. However, you may want to hide specific fields or sections based on certain conditions such as a selected value of another field on the form.
- Always - Field is always shown.
- When - Field will only display when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the field or section should be displayed.
- Internally - Field will not display on the public form and will only display when a Cognito Forms user is editing the form from the Entries page.
- Never - Field will never display.
Require This Field
Requiring a field will make sure the user provides a response. When a field is required, an error message will display, and the form cannot be submitted until a value has been added to the field. Required fields are indicated by a red asterisk next to the label. By default, fields are never required.
- Always - Field is always required. User must provide a response in order to submit the form.
- When - Field is required only when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the field is required.
- Never - Field is not required. This is the default behavior.
You can set a custom error message that will display under your field when specified conditions become true. The conditional logic builder will allow you to add any number of rules for validating your field. Learn more about the custom error option.