This feature is available to organizations on the Pro, Team, and Enterprise plans.
A signature field allows you to collect electronic signatures from your users. When an entry with a signature is submitted, the signature appears with the rest of the entry information (as well as PDF exports) as an image.
Note: Electronic signatures are legally binding per the eSIGN act of 2000; please refer to our FAQ for further instructions regarding eSIGN compliance.
The label will display as the title of the field or the question that is being asked on the form. It is not recommended to leave the label blank because the label will be used as the column heading in Excel when form entries are exported.
Help text can be used to assist the user by providing additional instructions. Help text will display directly under the field.
Show This Field
By default, fields will always display on the form. However, you may want to hide specific fields or sections based on certain conditions such as a selected value of another field on the form.
- Always - Field is always shown.
- When - Field will only display when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the field or section should be displayed.
- Internally - Field will not display on the public form and will only display when a Cognito Forms user is editing the form from the Entries page.
- Never - Field will never display.
Require This Field
Requiring a field will make sure the user provides a response. When a field is required, an error message will display, and the form cannot be submitted until a value has been added to the field. Required fields are indicated by a red asterisk next to the label. By default, fields are never required.
- Always - Field is always required. User must provide a response in order to submit the form.
- When - Field is required only when specific conditions are met. After selecting this option, the Conditional Logic Builder dialog will display allowing you to select when the field is required.
- Never - Field is not required. This is the default behavior.
You can set a custom error message that will display under your field when specified conditions become true. The conditional logic builder will allow you to add any number of rules for validating your field. Learn more about the custom error option.