This is a paid add-on feature available to organizations on our Pro, Team, and Enterprise plans. Learn more about pricing for custom documents.
From the Manage Document Templates dialog, you can download a template, customize it, then upload it to create custom PDF files and Word documents. To get started:
- Under Template Type, select the Custom option. You will be presented with the option to download your document template as a Word document. By default, the billing mode for your template will be set to Test, meaning that your generated document will include a Cognito Forms watermark. Your organization is not charged for test documents.
- In Word, your form's field names will appear as plain text, with field tokens next to them in brackets. You can adjust field names, move fields around, change font size/type/color, and much more. You can even write expressions in Cognito calculation syntax.
- When you're finished customizing your template in Word, press the Upload button to upload your document. If it contains any errors that might prevent it from merging correctly, you can download an annotated version of the template that provides a description and points out the location of each error.
- Select the output format - either PDF file, or Word document. If your document contains a custom font, make sure to upload the font file as well. To upload a different document, simply select the trash icon to delete the existing one.
- After uploading your template, you can open/save your new custom document. NOTE: If (set by default), your document will contain a Cognito Forms watermark.
- Once you're finished testing your document template, make sure to change the billing mode to Live.